Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Water Coloring vs Copic Coloring

IMG_0635

Just doing a bit of testing.  I watched a video that said you could do Copic-like coloring with SU markers.  I did find out some interesting things.  The first two images are done on SU water color paper with SU markers.  The third image is Copic.  You can’t tell so well in the pictures but for me; it just seems a lot easier to use the copics.  Would I use the water color technique again?  A most definite yes as I have all the colors of SU markers and that gives great variety.  I don’t have that many Copic markers.  What I learned using the water color paper is about the grain.  I found in the first image the color did not bleed as much and the grain of the paper is going in the vertical direction.  The second one I had the grain going horizontal and found it difficult to maintain the color.  The surprise was how brilliant the watercolors come out compared to the Copic.  Flesh tones were very hard to do with the water colors.  I also found that no matter that I used Memento or Staz On and let them dry overnight, they still picked up the black and made the skin tones look muddy on the water color paper.  I never have that problem with Memento and Copics.  Image is from Oscar’s Door County Rubber Stamps. Fun on the farm series, this image is named Precious.

I hope this is helpful in some way to you.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful little image!! I realized the other day I have so many color mediums in my corner. Maybe when I retire LOL, I'll have time to commit to sitting down and learning how to use them better....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janeen, awesome coloring! May I suggest Versafine black for the watercoloring? It's made specifically for paper and is waterproof. The other thing you could try is heat embossing the line image. Love these as they are, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanking you for leaving sweet comments. They make my day brighter.