Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Anatomy of a card Stamps 538/539

sc582.jpeg
Where do you get your ideas?  How do you know what papers to use?  What makes you choose a certain stamp?  These are questions that stampers get and how do we really know how to answer them?  ~~This week, I needed a wedding card.  I chose the brides colors and even used the ribbon from the invitation she sent us.  I looked at Split Coast Stampers and this was the sketch for the week.  Okay, I think I like that.  Now, the papers.  Hmmmm...that piece in the back needs to stand out but not be too bold.  I thought originally about a paper with the flourishes like the ones i stamped but i couldn't find any and while looking I saw this paper that looks like textured shabby chic ribbons sewn together and had a decidedly elegant look to them.  Pull that out.  Then the next layer.  Since her invite had these similar flourishes i wanted to include that look.  Thanks to Mark's Finest Papers very old retired stamp I had the perfect set.  Once stamped in the corners with Eggplant Envy from SU I thought the panel looked a little bare.  I grabbed my Tim Holtz Stencil and sponged very lightly with Linen distress ink in both of the opposite corners.  To get the circle image I used the same set to stamp this elegant frame onto the scalloped Spellbinders die cut.  The curved open lacy look of the die offsets the square and rectangle panels perfectly.  Now add the ribbon to be the little panel that sits under the circle in the square and we have the sketch done perfectly.  Now in real life the colors are much more cohesive than what shows up here.  The ribbon panel and the hearts match almost perfectly.  The Eggplant Envy color and the ribbon match beautifully also.  The little gem???  Had to add that to cover up a spot that the ink caught the edge of the sentiment stamp.  So THAT's how we come up with a card.  Fun, eh?

1 comment:

  1. You are telling it like it is. I think most times I have no idea how I came up with what I did. This is a great card and I enjoyed hearing how it came to be.

    ReplyDelete

Thanking you for leaving sweet comments. They make my day brighter.