Thursday, February 27, 2014

Mixed Media Butterflies

Trying mixed media again.  It’s not something I’m real comfortable with but I do like to play.  This was a disaster in the beginning.  I loved the white bricks I made with embossing paste but then I decided to spray it with a clay color.   Well that was fine but now what am I going to do with this large orangey looking piece of bricks.  My original thought had been flowers on the wall (remember that song by the Stadler Brothers) I wanted to use the new butterfly stencil and thought a contrasting color would look good.  First I used a dark green gelato and brushed that on but that looked horrible.  Trust me, it DID!  hmmm….now what.  I don’t want to throw away these cool bricks.  I sprayed over with a green smooch spray.  that didn’t work, and you couldn’t even tell it made a difference except to make the butterflies a little darker.  SIGH!  Okay, I have to lighten these up.  Good thing I had a white gelato stick.  I colored it onto my craft mat and pounced away with a dauber.  Still kind of dull.  Now, the genius starts working.  I found my little liquid smooch glitter paint on stuff in silver and that is just what it needed for a final touch.  Now, I like the looks of the butterflies but how to turn it into a card.  And just picking it up it seemed it needed those two corners rounded to give a bit of movement to the picture.  It worked.  A little brown mat sticking out looked good.  It needs WHITE.  I had these HUGE paper flowers and they were way to large for this image.  They would work on a 12x12 scrapbooking page.  I grabbed my MFT flower dies and cut them down without any qualms at all, then found the perfect layer in my scrap bag of browns and a pearlized candy for the center.  Cue to placement, and I am working on Sympathy cards for an order and there you have it.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE how it turned out.  Red heartRed heartRed heart 

Thought Process:  Use paste to enter into Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge.  Stretch my style a bit.  Also entering it into Dream Weavers Anything that flutters Stencil Challenge

IMG_3892 (800x591)

SUPPLIES:

Stencil:  MFT Brick Wall, Heidi Swapp butterflies

Dream Wearvers Stencil Paste in Matte

Paper Flowers Flora Studios Color me crazy

Flower insides DCWV Linen Closet Mat Stack

Candies, Pearls.

Spray is Tsukineko Fireworks Potter’s Clay

6 comments:

  1. Janeen this is fantastic. This card is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really neat! Thank you for joining the February Flutters challenge...those butterflies really suit the Dreamweaver Stencils challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful card Janeen! Thanks for joining our Dreamweaver challenge! I'll see you in April at the workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this is gorgeous. I love how you did that wall. Got to get me some of that paste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a gorgeous card. I'm glad you saved it from the brink of disaster. I really love the butterflies against the brick wall and those flowers are lovely. All around awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a gorgeous creation! Love the beautiful flower embellishments. The background you created is awesome. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanking you for leaving sweet comments. They make my day brighter.